The museum was originally chartered in 1876 for the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. The current building designed by Zantzinger, Borie, and Medary; Paul Cret; Horace Trumbauer; and various members of Trumbauer’s firm including senior designer Julian Abele, the first African American graduate of the University of Pennsylvania’s architecture program was completed in 1928.
The museum’s collections include over 240,000 objects with major holdings of European, American and Asian origin. The various classes of artwork are represented by sculpture, paintings, prints, drawings, photographs, armor, and decorative arts.
In addition to the main building, the museum administers several annexes including the Rodin Museum and the Ruth and Raymond G. Perelman Building, in addition to the historic colonial-era houses of Mount Pleasant and Cedar Grove, both located in Fairmount Park.
To see all the museum has to offer visit the museum’s website.